User Psychology

Fundamentally, Conversion Rate Optimisation seeks to under user psychology and behaviour, in order to increase the percentage of users completing a specific action.

Whether this action is completing a form, or finalising a purchase, the goal of CRO is to understand what it is that will ultimately lead to a user to complete a specific goal.

User Psychology and optimisation

We take the latest research in brain and behavioural science to create and improve user journeys and user experiences.

Testing hypothesis after hypothesis to uncover what it is that gets a specific user group to tick has, consequently, led to the Conversion Rate Optimisation industry becoming engaged in one of the largest studies into human behaviour.

It’s uniqueness in experimentation, offers an in-depth understanding into human psychology and behaviour.

With expert training and specialist skill sets, how can our consultants utilise existing research into human behaviour and psychology to complement our work?

Kahneman and Zaltman

American Psychology, Daniel Kahneman, in his famed work, Thinking Fast and Slow, presented a bifurcated theory of mind, arguing for the existence of System One (Reptilian and Middle Brain) and System Two (Neocortex).


Gerald Zaltman equally argued that only 5% of our cognitive processing is conscious, with the remaining 95% being non-conscious, or unconscious, and subject to the machination of our latent, ancient, innate reptilian drives and desire.

If 95% of our decisions are made implicitly, they are open to persuasive manipulation.

That sounds unethical. However, as Conversion Rate Optimisation professionals, it is our job to understand what it is that activates the reptilian mind when a user accesses a website.

We can then translate our understanding into innovative design, testing hypotheses and user experience development.


We are well aware that there is no single solution, and each audience we work with will be unique. However, appreciating the presence of multiple voices within the single user, allows us to design, test and implement solutions that takes into account competing voices.

Data may show how a logical proposition affects the behaviour of users, however, why not test something else? Maybe it is delivery or prices that moves the user to convert. But then again, maybe it’s something else. Maybe it’s something we aren’t sure how to talk to, something that tells the user who they are, what they could be. Maybe it’s something we haven’t the language for; some ancient esoteric aspect of the mind which, given the right stimuli, pushes the conscious will aside, as the user strolls towards a conversion; like sleepwalking.